Thursday, November 3, 2022

Luke TheNotable: Pulling the Fine Bros Move


Side Note: Please do not go and attack or harass this person.

This one is another interesting YouTuber to talk about. I've chosen a ton of Minecraft related YouTuber's recently. Why? Because there an easy target to go after and there's a ton of them. Minecraft YouTuber's today in general suck compared to what they were back then and it's sad. But anyways today we are going to talk about Luke TheNotable; a Minecraft YouTuber that makes content related to the 100 days in [blank], 100 drops and Minecraft Hardcore, but came under hot water about a year ago when he tried pulling The Fine Bros move in terms of tradmarking something he doesn't own. Also, DMing and threatening other content creators in legal action.

Luke TheNotable (formerly known as Luke Hebert) started his account on November 2, 2008, but didn't upload any videos to his channel until March 24, 2009, with the first video titled "Zoo Tycoon: T rex and Over 40 loins Eat Guests" which is kind of a weird title. Anyways shortly after the first video went up, he switched his content around and talked about the Halo franchise producing videos like "Halo Wars: 15 Vultures vs. 3 Super Scarabs" and "Halo Reach: How not to be a Noob." That was essentially his content (all about the Halo franchise) until the later years he switched to Fortnite content and what we know as today as Minecraft content. He started his own series titled 100 days [Hardcore Minecraft] and that was his content for the near future.

The Fall:

The 100 Days Trademark / The Backlash / The Response:

The Trademark.

A good YouTuber makes the fatal mistake of his life (even though I never seen his content). Back during the month of January 2021, Luke thought it was a brilliant idea to trademark the word '100 days' and trying to take down every Minecraft content creator's video (or videos) with the same format and title as his (this is also based on this post and a report on uspto.report). On top of this, creators were getting DM's from Luke basically threatening them with legal action which is so dumb. Currently I don't have the evidence to back these claims. Luke would receive backlash from the Minecraft Community, making it similar to what The Fine Bros did with React World.

Ever since the backlash spun out of control with Luke, on February 1, 2021, he apologized for 'copyrighting the 100 days trademark' and has released a statement on twitter (deleted but can be seen in YouTube videos):

"You may have heard the news that I was trademarking 100 Days. I am abandoning this trademark. There will be no restrictions on any 100 Days/Drops content for anyone. Please continue creating. My emotions got in the way of what should have been a friendly share of content.

Please continue to create 100 Days content. I love watching the fans put so much love into videos that inspire them and with this trademark we all could have lost that forever. I lost sight of what is important in content creation, which is something I won't do again.

I was worried about getting credit for the content that I had produced instead of lifting up those that were inspired by me. When you put something on the internet it may be used by someone else. This caused me stress and anxiety when it should have been a source of inspiration.

It is very easy to trademark something like this and I was scared someone might try to do the same to me, taking away the series I love to create. But my actions almost took away the series for everyone else and I'm sorry for that. It won't happen again.

I hope you will still allow me to post 100 Days. I have been working on one for some time now and I think it'll make a great addition to the 100 Days family which we can all be a part of. Careers have been created here and I am sorry that my actions almost ruined that.

Going forward im going to try my best to earn back the trust of the community. I will do my best to lift up my fellow 100 Days creators and defend our right to create. I am with you, not just for 100 Days but for 10,000,000." - Luke.

After the statement was released, many fans were happy to see this drop. To me I feel like he should've known better. What I mean by that is to think outside the box before you act, but nevertheless it was resolved, and the community was happy.

Images & Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment